Sunday, June 30, 2013


On Tuesday morning, I left home around 8:30. I eventually caught a flight from Hopkins to Newark where I had a three hour layover. I hung out at the airport until my flight to Frankfurt left. It was a pretty uneventful flight--I took some melatonin and a Unisom around 6 pm EST and slept for probably half the flight. We landed in Frankfurt at 7:15 am local time. That airport? Bananas. Largest and most confusing airport I've ever been in, despite the fact that all the signs included English translations. It took me a while, but I found and proceeded through customs and then the train station. I hopped on a train to W├╝rzburg, which was about an hour ride. As soon as I got to the station I took a taxi to the site I was there to support. After a full day there I took a taxi back to my hotel for a couple hour nap. After my nap I showered and met up with someone from my meetings at a local restaurant.

My dinner? Incredible. Steak, salad, dinner roll with herb butter, and a bowl of potato soup. Following dinner I headed back to my hotel where I packed and went to sleep. I ran out very early the next morning to grab a pastry and orange juice from a local bakery, checked out, and took a taxi back to the training site. I was there from about 8 am to 4 pm local time, then took a taxi back to the train and the train back to Frankfurt. When I got into Frankfurt I was very fortunate because I was able to meet up with two of my cousins, Tilo and Karla. I checked into my Frankfurt hotel and then we walked around all sorts of stores in the vicinity of the airport. I had an incredible dinner of pizza (topped with onion, peppers, pepperoni, and artichoke hearts) until I headed back to my room to pack (again) and rest. 

The next morning, I headed to the airport with leftover pizza in hand for breakfast. Apparently this is a strictly American thing because about 9 different Germans (including the 4 young guys working in customs) made comments about it. I made quite the spectacle of myself, apparently. My flight to Newark left on time and I watched television shows and movies the whole flight back. I was supposed to have a three hour layover in Newark with my flight set to leave at 2:45. 2:45 came and went and our flight was pushed back to 3:30. Not long after, it was pushed back to 4:15. By 4, the plane we were supposed to take still hadn't disembarked all passengers so I knew there was no way we'd be out by quarter after. Once we finally boarded we had to sit on the runway for about 45 minutes as they made a new flight plan due to inclement weather out east. We didn't land until 7 (I was supposed to get in around 4) and I was a hot mess. After 24 hours of traveling and being disappointed because I had been so looking forward to seeing Elden that night (he was long asleep by the time I got home around 8:30) I was even more emotional than usual. I was so happy to pull into our driveway. Compounding that happiness was the fact that while my mom watched Elden on Friday (Jon had to work) she somehow found the time to make us chicken a la king, barbecue beef and chocolate chip cookies. Huge, huge blessing. I went in to kiss Elden goodnight which woke him up and he cried, so I was bummed about that. First thing the next morning, though, when Jon brought him into our room he kicked and flailed in a desperate attempt to escape and reach me as fast as he could. As soon as he was next to me he promptly rested his head on my shoulder for a good 30 seconds. Now that was what I had in mind for our reunion.

I was only able to see about .03 seconds of Germany so that was a little bit of a bummer but at least the trip went fast so I didn't dwell on being separated from my baby. It was amazing that I was able to see my cousins on SUCH short notice, especially in their country. I'm still a little tired so I don't feel like going through great lengths to organize the very few pictures I took on this trip:
Skype with my guys
old school hotel key
After a couple nights of great sleep and a couple days with my two favorite gentlemen I am mostly settled back into life. I say 'mostly' because yesterday morning our dryer decided to break. Today we are much poorer because we ordered a brand new washer and dryer that are set to arrive in about 2 weeks. In the meantime I need to hope it stops raining every day so I can line dry and continue to do laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment