Wednesday, June 12, 2013


Due to the limitations of when Elden could consume certain foods and liquids prior to his procedure, I woke him at 4 this morning to nurse him. Jon got up at 5:30 to shower and we got Elden up at 6 to get ready to be out the door by 6:15. He was happy and played with toys the entire 50-minute drive to the hospital. Once there we got checked in and headed to pre-op. He was put in both the cutest and saddest little hospital gown. We also found out surgery would be pushed back from 8:30 to 10 so one of my sister's peers could do the anesthesia (she is finishing up a nurse anesthetist program this December). Luckily, Elden handled not eating or sleeping for several hours like a champ (overall). Surgery ended up happening around 9:20 and I got to walk him back to the OR and stay with him until he was asleep. I actually think this was harder on my sister than on me! I think I was just relieved at that point to finally [hopefully] have a long-term solution to all of these ear infections. Not even 15 minutes after he was asleep we were reunited in recovery where I was able to nurse him. The doctor told us there was a lot of thick, stringy fluid in his ears and that they were able to suck out about 95% of it before putting in the tubes. He was kind of like a drunken little man, flopping all around trying to crawl--he even got up on his hands and knees! He was quite cranky at first (expected) but even handled post-op like a champ. We handed out bags of homemade chocolate chip cookies and brownies to everyone who helped care for our little man as a thank you. We were in the car by about 10:30 and Elden slept pretty much the whole way home. As soon as we got into the house he woke up and is currently happily playing in his jump-up. When he first started hearing all the noises of our house (and especially his voice) his eyes got very wide.
Cutest little gown ever
Right before heading back - at this point exhaustion and hunger had taken over.
Just before waking up
Back home and playing less than 2 hours after surgery
Big thanks to my sister for sitting with us the majority of the time. Her presence was comforting. Also thank you for all of your prayers and words of encouragement as we prepared for and finished surgery! We are very grateful.


  1. What a champ! I was praying this morning that you would have a peace and optimism about the surgery. And that Elden would have comfort and healing.

  2. Glad things went so well! I was amazed how normal Myles seemed after both of his surgeries, those little ones really are resilient!

  3. Oh, sweet boy! Hugs to you and your family. So glad to hear all went great.