Thursday, October 23, 2014

edith's birth story

At my ultrasound on Monday morning I was just borderline above the cutoff that warrants an induction based on low fluid levels. Since I was 40 weeks, I would have had to come back in a few days for a repeat ultrasound if I hadn't gone into labor by then, and was a crazy sobbing mess when my OB walked in (because he is very very by the book and I did not expect him to give me an induction), my doctor shocked me when he said, "ok, you'll go in at midnight for the induction." I told him I could kiss him on the mouth I was so happy and relieved. I asked which doctor was on call that night (I have 2 OBs) and he told me that he was on until 9 am and then the other doc (who delivered Elden) would be on. Since I was so beyond thrilled that he was having mercy on me I told him my goal was to have the baby by 8 am on the 21st, so within 8 hours of beginning my induction.
not in labor yet induction selfie
The plan was to have me go in at midnight for cytotec (I was still just a fingertip dilated and not any more effaced) which he assumed would put me into labor without the pitocin, just like with Elden. We made all the arrangements for Elden, gave him his big brother gift, and went out to dinner at the Olive Garden (thanks for the gift card, Ang!) as our last family of 3 meal--and also to carbo-load. At about 11:40 Jon and I headed over to the hospital. When we got there we were put in a recovery L&D room instead of an actual delivery room until things picked up. By the time the resident came to check me it was around 1 am (baby and I needed to be monitored for 20-30 minutes before they could administer the cytotec) and lo and behold... I was 3 cm dilated. She asked if I had been having contractions and I said maybe but not anything that would make me think I was that dilated after not having been just 12 hours earlier. Since the cytotec's goal is to cause dilation the resident needed to call my OB to see how he wanted to proceed. It was decided I would be taken to a delivery room and they would start pitocin. The first dose of pitocin was pushed around 1:45 am and I immediately started contracting. They broke my water around 2 am and that just kicked things up higher. For the next 3 hours I kept contracting stronger with them getting closer together, easily every 3-5 minutes. At about 4 I was at -2 station, 4.5 cm and I asked for the epidural. Let's just say this epidural experience was not nearly as glorious as with Elden. I had a large window on my left side, could feel everything internally and I had a lot of pain with each contraction in my butt of all places. Because I was still feeling contractions, the anesthesiologist pushed fetanyl which made me insanely itchy. Since baby was still not close to being engaged our nurse suggested having me sit up in the bed to try to allow gravity to work baby down. I was upright the remainder of the labor until it was time to push.

At 6 am I was up to 5 cm and -1 station. At this point I was not optimistic that I would even come near my 8 am delivery goal. Shift change came at 7 and for this change we had two nurses because one was finishing her orientation. I should also pause to say we had ridiculously stellar nurses the ENTIRE hospital experience--we had 7 or 8 total and we were totally floored by how amazing they all were. The last 2 nurses in the delivery room were older and the sweetest ladies ever. They checked me around 7:30 and I was at 7 cm (so transition). I asked how long it usually takes to get from 7 to 10 and they said they've seen it happen in a few contractions. Knowing my luck I didn't buy into a similar experience for myself but they started prepping the room anyway and I thought to myself that it was a bit premature. Then I started feeling a lot of pressure in my butt. They called my (male) doctor who happened to be in the hospital for grand rounds to tell him he should probably head over. By 8 am they checked again and I was complete and baby was engaged. I resisted the urge to push as my doctor made his way into the delivery room around 8:10. He had me do a practice push and said he would wait to gown up if it seemed like it would take a while. One push with my eyes closed and I heard a bustling of gowns so I knew we were close. Within four contractions, Edith was born at 8:18 am weighing 8 pounds, 10 ounces and measuring 20.5 inches long. She nursed for about 45 minutes then Jon brought Elden back to meet her. He was ecstatic and asked to hold her right away.

Before long, Jon dressed Elden in a pink bow tie to make the official announcement to our parents.

We got early release and came home yesterday. Rough does not properly describe last night but we're surviving. We are grateful for this little girl despite the hourly nursing and lack of sleep. I can't believe we have two kids who were born on their due dates!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I'm tearing up just reading this (darn you, pregnancy hormones!). So happy for your growing family. Hope recovery is going well and that the transition to family of four is smooth!