Monday, October 9, 2017

atlanta recap (day 1)

We are home from our trip to Atlanta for Sally's wedding! It was an amazing weekend, the wedding was absolutely beautiful, and the kids successfully fulfilled their flower fairy roles!

Our flight was at 7:45 am on Thursday morning so we had to leave the house by 5:45. We got the kids up at 5:30 am after having packed the van the night before and picked out clothes for everyone. I was so worried the big kids would be super grouchy but Elden started sing-yelling that we were going on an airplane today and Edith started to dance, so... unfounded concerns.

 After the kids were packed in the van, we headed to the Park n Fly and took the shuttle over to check-in. Security was a breeze and then we waited for Dunkin Donuts for breakfast.
Before we knew it, we were on the plane! We flew Southwest (for free) and we decided to get each of the kids their own seats because a plane can't take off or land if a lap child is not cooperative (i.e. properly restrained) and we know Etta is a honey badger so we decided a screaming but restrained infant > screaming infant that is preventing us from landing.
I found my old portable DVD player and had every intention of taking it, except I was missing the AC adapter. Jon's parents surprised us a few days before the trip with a replacement one for the journey.
Once we landed we picked up the pack n play from baggage claim and took the airport train to our rental car. We rented a Chrysler Pacifica and it was like driving a spaceship. Once we were in the van we headed to our rental. The wedding was at The Foundry at Puritan Mill in Midtown. We stayed at this 3-bedroom VRBO and it ended up working out really well - Jon's parents drove down and stayed with us and had their own room/bathroom. Edith and Elden shared a room and we had the pack n play in our room for Etta. Our VRBO was only a 4 minute drive from the venue, so that was awesome.

Within minutes of walking through the door, Elden did what he does best and made his clothing scarce.
We grabbed the kids McDonald's on our way home and while they were eating I called in an order at Yeah Burger for Jon, Etta and me. It was okay but the ketchup was this special chef ketchup and OHMYGOSH I literally was licking the packets it was so good. After lunch we attempted to put the kids down for naps and it did not go well. We ultimately waved the white flag and headed to the local Publix to get our groceries for our stay. Edith fell asleep in the car and continued to sleep the entire time we shopped.
In the car on the way home, Elden passed out.
The rest of the evening was spent letting the kids rest/watch TV, cooking dinner, and then celebrating the arrival of Jon's parents. It was a nice, slow day after an early start and we were ready for the full day Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment